Monday, July 6, 2009

How Can I Use Blogging In My Classroom?

As a junior high teacher, I know that many of my students already use blogs and other social networks to communicate with each other.  I feel that their familiarity with blogs is great because I can use them as a communication tool outside of school and as opportunities to set examples of proper communication skills and the potential growth in expert thinking skills .  Richardson (2009) states, "Remember, millions of kids are already blogging, so they certainly are enticed by the tool.  But very few are using their sites as places of critical thinking and analytical writing and reflection." 

I have taught junior high mathematics for two years and quickly learned that students jump to use the excuse that they couldn't finish their assignments because they didn't understand the directions, the information, the notes, etc...  On test days, there is never a doubt in my mind that I will have several students at my desk asking me how to do a process that was taught two weeks ago.  Blogging can be a wonderful tool because it is a public site that students can access to communicate their concerns with the teacher and classmates.  It is imperative that I stress to the students and parents that they must use discretion in their writing because "what you write stays with you" (Richardson 2009).  The blog can have a specific section for students and parents to ask questions about homework or class topics they don't quite understand.  Their questions and my answers will be published so other students and parents can get the same information.  As a busy educator, it is great to know that I will not have to write repetitive emails because the information is public.  Another section can have recommended sites that students and parents can use for extra math practice or games they can use at home.  Many families like to stay sharp during vacations, and I can provide the tools for that through the blog.

This year especially, I plan to utilizing a blog because I will be on maternity leave for three months.  I can use the blog as a way for me to continue communication with my students.  Parents and students can still ask me questions about class topics or just keep me updated on their lives.  Having an unfamiliar face teaching in class can be uncomfortable for some parents and students, and the blog can help to calm some of the nerves over the situation.


Richardson, W. (2009).  Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (2nd ed).  Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.

3 comments:

  1. Ashlee,
    I think that using a blog to post class information is a great idea. Studnets will really benefit from being able to ask questions and receive responses from other classmates. I completely understand what you said about students asking so many questions on test day when they should have been asking them long ago! Perhaps using the blog will motivate them to think about the information sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEy Ashlee,

    I laughed when you mentioned middle school children asking questions about directions! I think there is a path worn out by my desk just from quiz/test days. This last group this year had so many questions, I actually had to limit them and teach them what types of questions would be appropriate to ask. Then I even had to go as far as to allow only three questions for a test. They put three question marks beside their name and if they came up to ask a question I would cross one off! I know this sounds tough for sixth graders but they have to start trusting themselves and learn to interpret directions. All that being said, I think it is a great idea for the repeated questions and concerns to be shared through a blog. ( I will be stealing that one!)

    COngratulations on the soon to be baby too! When are you due?? My advice to you with blogging while you are out is to be very careful you do not step on toes with your long term sub. ALthough it is your class, he/she will need to have authority and I have found when I opened myself up during a leave of absence, parents and children tried to work the system. It is a great idea but I can forsee issues especially if the blog is public and they had a bad day with your sub, they will want to complain to you and that can lead to problems.

    Good luck and again congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashlee,
    I read your ideas and I think you are off to a really good start, I'll be interested to see how some of the new things you implement work out, please keep me informed, I might want to borrow some of your ideas.

    By the way I say congrats and I'll say a prayer for you at the same time. I hope you are getting plenty of rest now. I think that its a good idea to try and maintain some sense of control in your room. I know that while I was out I posted all of my assignments on a website and the recorded the lessons on Powerpoint and moviemaker. The kids really liked in the beginning and so did the sub, however as time passed and the kids became lax, so did the response to the assignments. By the end of the nine weeks some of the parents did try to pull the card that a sub was in the room and students didn't have real instruction and the assignments were fague and to open. Thank God, my administration supported me but the key was I got them on board in the beginning and I sent them the updates each week so they could keep up with everything as well just in case there was a problem. So to futher encourage your careful of Lori's ideas about public blogs could be real task if not nipped in the beginning.

    Good luck though and I like your page it has lots of detail on it.

    ReplyDelete