Sunday, October 31, 2010

Final Reflection: Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom

Throughout the course “Supporting Information Literacy and Online Inquiry in the Classroom,” I had many revelations. The greatest realization I probably had was that my students may not know quite as much about using the Internet and technology as I have always assumed they do. The focus of technology use should not be the ability for students to use a specific kind of technology, but rather their ability to develop skills to help them “manage new technologies as they emerge” (Eagleton & Dobler, 2007). So, my students may know how to create videos for Youtube and download music for their ipods, but that does not necessarily mean they have the proper literacy skills that can help them in all technological areas of life.

The knowledge and experience I have gained in this course will have a bearing on my future teaching practices. I have learned proper tools to use for effectively and efficiently researching the Internet, such as host commands and various search engines. Before I learned those tips, I was not properly researching. Another area that I know will improve the investigative aspect of my teaching is that of evaluating websites before using them for information. Now that I have these and other skills developed from the course work, I am more confident in my teaching, especially when related to research skills.

One goal that I would like to try and pursue this school year is posting my classroom instruction as screencasts for a class website. I would like for students to be able to go to the site for extra practice or review of what was done in class. I use an Activboard in my classroom, and all I do on the board appears on the computer screen. I would like to record my lessons, with examples and notes done on the board, and return to do a voice-over later for explanations. My hope is that this would help absent and struggling students at home, and it would also keep parents completely informed about what is happening in class. This is my main professional goal, and it is accompanied by the general goal of simply improving my instruction. It is my hope that the knowledge I have developed in this course will make me a stronger teacher who is able to set an example for students and colleagues.

Reference

Eagleton, M. B., & Dobler, E. (2007). Reading the Web: Strategies for Internet inquiry. New York: The Guilford Press.

1 comment:

  1. The commitment you are placing on carrying out to research for forty minutes will allow you to introduce new technology in your classroom with confidence. You could also further proceed to carry out research (self-reflective approach) using the information you record as a means of maintaining and monitoring records for your own reflection.

    ReplyDelete