Wednesday, November 10, 2010

GAME Plan

First of all, the acronym GAME in game plan stands for setting goals, taking action, monitoring, and evaluating/extending (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). After looking at the NETS-T standards for teachers, I feel that I need to strengthen my confidence in the following areas: my ability to design and develop digital-age learning experiences and assessments; and to engage in professional growth and leadership.

My game plan for building my proficiency in these areas has several parts. My goal is to incorporate more digital tools in my teaching, to maximize my students’ learning and to take more part in current research and practices in the technology area. In order to achieve those goals, I plan to develop lessons that include students using some form of technology at least once each month. The technology could range from researching on computers to creating their own wikis/blogs. I also plan to take time each week for at least forty minutes to view educational research websites and news pages that provide information about current and upcoming digital opportunities for the classroom. I plan to maintain and monitor my progress in both goals by actually writing the time and specified lesson in my calendar, so it is actually planned in my schedule. It is my hope that the visual reminder will keep me aware of my goals. Finally, I will evaluate and extend my learning by interacting with other teachers and online community members who have similar technology interests as me. I also plan to include informational websites in my RSS feed, so that I can easily keep up with news and updates.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning

National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/
2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Ashlee
    It is a good idea to have a starting point like making a good technology laced lesson once a month. Without a starting point I often want to do something but never get started.

    I also like that you are planning on setting up a time to look at technologies you can use in your class. In one of our videos last week one of the people interviewed said she would do that a couple times each week and call that research and development time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The commitment you are placing on carrying out to research for forty minutes will allow you to introduce new technology in your classroom with confidence. You could also further proceed to carry out research (self-reflective approach) using the information you record as a means of maintaining and monitoring records for your own reflection.

    ReplyDelete