Wednesday, November 24, 2010

GAME Plan Progress: Week 4

So far in my GAME plan, I am learning that certain aspects are more challenging than I expected.  I am still doing fine with the incorporation of technology for students to use in at least one lesson per month.  So, perhaps I need to do more with my lessons, like use digital tools three times per month, and one of those lessons should involve students using the computer lab to do some sort of mathematical research.  I have realized that there is so much technology available to use in my classes that simply setting a goal of incorporating it once each month is too simple for what is available to me.

The second portion of my plan is where I am struggling: to improve my professional development in the area of mathematics related educational technology.  It is not necessarily that I am not able to find materials to research on the Internet.  My greatest challenge is occurring in the area of self-discipline to manage time for conducting research.  With my current stage of life, pregnant wife and mother, I have a personal goal to be home by 4:30 everyday to be with my family, and I typically leave my schoolwork at school.  If I am not able to complete by the time I leave, I tackle it the next day.  My original plan was to write a 40-minute time slot for researching in my daily lesson planner, so that I would have a physical reminder to do it.  However, most of the times I have attempted to dig into the Internet to research, a colleague needs helps, or a parent calls for me, or a student needs extra help with math.  I cannot realistically seem to be able to take time while at school to look into anything effectively.  This has brought me to the conclusion that I need to do the research at home, when all distractions are left behind and in bed for the night.  I think my initial plan is to conduct one hour of research during the first week of each month.  Next week is the first week of December, so that is my first opportunity to apply my revised plan!  

I know that addressing my issue will still be a struggle for me because I prefer to spend time with my family when I am home.  But, that being said, I am also in a career field that requires growth and comprehension of tools available to use in my classroom.  My students are entering a workforce that requires digital knowledge and problem-solving capabilities.  If I am to teach them in the best way possible, I need to continue my own education.

2 comments:

  1. Ashlee
    Congratuations on your second child. My first is 4 months old and waking up from a nap as I type this so I need to write quickly.

    It has always been a challenge for me to balance home and school because being a teacher is a profession that takes so many hours each week, especially when you are a new teacher, that finding that balance can be hard. I am also trying to make it home every night as early as I can so I can be with my wife and child. The one thing I do is take one night a week (Tuesday) and stay later at school. I use this time to get in a couple of hours of extra stuff that I am normally unable to get to. This time also lets me know through the rest of the week that if I have to put some things off I can get them done on this day instead of getting further behind. Time to go cuddle.
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach math as well and find it very time consuming to supplement lessons with technology at times. One way I have overcome this is by using spread sheets and graphing calculators to help students visualize graphs, charts, and data. I think this is helpful for students because they can work along with me using their own calculators.

    ReplyDelete